Join us, we’re an Investors in People Gold Standard Company
We have a great new opportunity for a Health and Safety Manager to join our award-winning HSQE team and to support our Infrastructure division especially focused on our rail business. This key role will be instrumental in the delivery of health, safety, quality and environmental excellence across the infrastructure team whilst also focusing on the company’s strategic objectives and legal compliance targets.
What you will do;
The role will be field based and due to the nature of the role some national travel will also be required depending on business needs.
Specific responsibilities will include;
- Protecting people at work within our Infrastructure division ensuring the prevention of injury and ill health by consistently championing behavioural safety improvements, gaps in our existing policies and upholding safe systems of work
- Management of internal audits and site inspections which will include assessing the sites against our company IMS requirements and relevant external standards as well as the administration of divisional non-conformances
- Advise senior management team on compliance and conformance requirements and issues
- Lead on accident and incident investigation and reporting
- Participate in HSQE risk assessments at a corporate and project-specific level and advising on delivery methods
- Regular liaison with our Infrastructure clients to ensure that we are working collaboratively together on delivering safe ways of working
- Delivery of behavioural safety training programmes in conjunction with our Learning and Development team
Who are we looking for?
We would welcome applications from highly experienced H&S professionals with solid experience in the Infrastructure sector especially across rail and also highways projects. This experience will include undertaking work-based risk assessments, Health and Safety inspections and audits as well as experience of reviewing safe working method statements and competency of staff. Experience within the Arboriculture or Landscaping industries would also be highly beneficial.
You must hold either Graduate or Chartered level IOSH Managing Safely membership and in addition you’ll need experience of assisting with accident investigations and near miss reporting.
The following skills and competencies are also essential to succeed in this senior level role;
- A proven record in HSQE management on major infrastructure projects with a specific focus on rail and highways
- Resilient approach to work with the ability to cope in an extremely busy team
- Full clean driving licence
- Ability to be able to both act and work strategically on the larger scale projects as well as being happy be on site when needed
- Passionate about making a difference in Health and Safety
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships
- Ability to problem solve and identify practical solutions
- Understanding of the importance of confidentiality and the ability to deal with confidential information in an appropriate manner
- A thorough understanding of CDM 2015 and other relevant H&S legislation is essential.
What we offer:
At Ground Control we believe in creating an inspirational environment , and rewarding our employees for their hard work. We offer a wide-ranging benefits program , supporting you to realise your full potential, and are proud to be recognised as a great place to work:
Awards, Accolades and Culture
- We have been awarded ‘world-class’ status for employee engagement in the 2023 best companies results, ranking at #16 in the ‘Top 100 Large Companies to Work For’ league table.
- Certified B-Corp Accredited, Ground Control has been certified by B Lab, the not-for-profit behind the B Corp movement, as having met rigorous social and environmental standards which represent its commitment to sustainable goals ahead of profit.
- We invest 5% of our profits into the Evergreen Fund, an investment fund dedicated to sustainability and environmental initiatives.
- By 2025 we have committed to planting 1,000,000 trees, having a fully electric fleet, and achieving carbon net zero after becoming carbon neutral in 2020.
- 2 personal choice volunteering days with your fundraising efforts matched up to £500!
Perks and Benefits
- Free gym access if you are Head Office based or subsidised national gym memberships if you are based elsewhere.
- Nursery Vouchers, Cycle to work scheme and Travel loans
- Bupa employee support, Free Flu Jabs, online private GP service and a premium subscription to Calm, the wellbeing app
- A supportive, entrepreneurial working environment that fosters collaboration.
- Training, development, coaching and mentoring plans including our GC Leadership Academy, job specific accreditations and higher education opportunities
- Hybrid working opportunities with time in the office including breakfast Mondays and dog friendly Fridays.
- Financial benefits include yearly bonus scheme, access to Wagestream and employee share options
How we work:
We put people at the centre of everything we do.
Everyone is welcome. We’re embracing a culture where difference is valued. Your uniqueness will be celebrated. We believe diversity grows innovation, and innovation creates initiative. Together we’ll succeed in caring for each other, caring for our communities and caring for our Environment. Together, we’re stronger.