Infrastructure Engineer (Networks/Cloud) at Ground Control
Ground Control (GC) is the UK’s largest external maintenance and commercial landscaping company. We are a values-centred, purpose driven business, creating and maintaining external spaces that are safe and enjoyable for all.
We are the contractor of choice for many well-known private and public organisations such as Network Rail, Tesco, Severn Trent Water, Sainsbury’s, and the Tower of London, to name a few.
We are looking for an Infrastructure Engineer to join our growing infrastructure team. The primary focus for this role will be to assist the Head of IT Infrastructure with optimising and enhancing our on-prem and cloud-based IT systems. This will be a Hybrid role , with time in our Billericay HQ.
You will take a pivotal role in the design, build and management of the network infrastructure of the company. This includes networking, routing of both physical and virtual hardware.
We are building our virtualisation stack and cloud architecture therefore supporting the teams with any networking controls and enhancements to the networking stack.
Take a predominant role in helping the company maintain our recognised security accreditation, ISO27001 and help to attain Cyber Essentials Plus.
Help identify and address any reported cyber security risks within our IT estate, recommending best practises, vulnerability remediation where possible and feed into new process and structural initiatives to elevate our overall security posture.
How we work
Everyone is welcome, and we are embracing a culture where difference is valued. Your uniqueness will be celebrated. We believe diversity grows innovation, and innovation creates initiative. Together we will succeed in caring for each other, caring for our communities, and caring for our environment.
What we offer
At Ground Control we believe in rewarding our employees for their hard work. Along a great basic salary, we also offer a wide-ranging benefits programme inspiring you to realise your full potential:
Perks and Benefits
- We are an Investors in People Gold Standard company and we put people at the centre of everything we do.
Sunday Times 2019 Top Track 250 Company, and the LSE’s “1000 Companies to Inspire Britain”.
- The Queens Award for Enterprise - Innovation 2021.
- We inclusively support “The Race at Work Charter”, “Ban the Box”, “The Armed Forces Covenant” and are “Disability Confident”.
- We offer a supportive, entrepreneurial working environment that fosters inclusion & collaboration.
- We invest 5% of our profits into the Evergreen Fund, an investment fund dedicated to sustainability and environmental initiatives.
- By 2025 we have committed to planting 1,000,000 trees, having a fully electric fleet, and being carbon neutral.
- A competitive salary and semi-annual bonuses, share options, 2 x salary Death in Service cover.
- Training, development, coaching and mentoring opportunities, with a clear career path progression.
- Match funding for employee fundraising and 2 personal choice volunteering days.
- Free gym access and nursery vouchers.
Cycle to work scheme and travel loans.
- Bupa employee support, free flu jab, subscriptions to an online GP service and Calm, the wellbeing app.
What you will achieve
- Take ownership of and help clear the backlog of infrastructure projects and tasks.
- Along with the rest of the infrastructure team, ensure that all our IT services are available within applicable SLAs.
- Complete our procedures knowledge based by defining repeatable and efficient procedures for infrastructure maintenance.
- Identify and suggest areas for improvement.
- Substantially contribute towards the gradual migration of our production environment to Azure.
Who we are seeking
- You have accumulated a considerable knowledge and experience of infrastructure (virtualisation, networking, storage, monitoring, Windows Server 2012/16/19, Active Directory, etc.) through a strong relevant engineering degree and/or solid experience in infrastructure-related roles.
- You have substantial experience of on-prem data centre maintenance and management.
- You have reasonable experience of Azure.
- Microsoft Azure in a hybrid environment and moving to a full cloud platform
- In depth experience of networking technologies
- Hand-on experience of configuring firewalls (Cisco, Juniper, Checkpoint or equivalent)
- Professional certifications such as (CCNA/CCNP/JNCIA)
- Security experience (Pentesting/SoC)
- Familiarity with networking principals (Switches, Routers, Firewalls, LAN, WAN, VLAN etc)
- Awareness of working towards recognised security accreditations and adopting and implementing IT security best practise
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with staff at all levels of the business
- Managing a large estate of PC remote workstations using remote deployment and monitoring tools
- Ability to work on your own initiative but fully recognise the importance of being a part of a wider cohesive team unit
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and can express product requirements in a clear, structured fashion to both technical and non-technical audiences.
We have ambitious plans, join us!