We have a new opportunity for a Senior Landscape Estimator to work in our technical Landscape Construction team. The overall objective of this role is to win new work in line with business requirements and provide competitive tender submissions achieving excellent conversion rates and gross margins. This is an exciting and dynamic role that is crucial to the success of the division.
There is flexibility on the location of this role as we have offices in Billericay, Essex and also Shifnal, Shropshire so you could be based from either office as well as some remote and home working included.
You will be driven to succeed and draw on your experience to provide estimates which consider a wide range of technical and practical impacts on the anticipated margins. You will support your colleagues in the wider business with pricing queries and attend site as required.
You will be responsible for delivering £3.0m of contract wins per annum’ of which 75% of all secured contracts must have the required level of opportunities to ensure the operational team can exit with the required margins
Key responsibilities are as follows;
• Identify whether potential tenders meet the criteria including but not limited to resources, preferred work type, size, and risk/opportunity and inform the senior manager of your findings.
• Prepare tender enquiries by trade and materials identifying and referencing required documents to be issued with the enquiry, you will identify companies to be sent enquiries in sufficient numbers to ensure at minimum two returns are received for each trade/material to allow comparison for competiveness.
• You will carry out a site visit to gain a better understanding of the local conditions that may have an effect on the pricing, programming and methods of construction Site photographs must be taken as an aide memoir and to assist the bid team in understanding the site constraints during the Tender phase.
• Build up estimates from first principles to ensure that tenders are investigated and treated as individual and produce unique rates for each and every tender.
• Build up a tender phase programme for larger, riskier projects, or when required as part of the tender submission by the client.
• Ensure that all tenders that are submitted are built up on an approved template using our estimating software to ensure that information obtained from the estimate is in a format that can be used by other functions in the company such as procurement, operations, commercial and finance.
On winning tenders you will be responsible for preparing a detailed tender handover summary document identifying key elements of the tender including, but not limited to, basic tender philosophy, strategy, financial and resourcing analysis, risks and opportunities, critical and long lead in times for materials and sub-contractor procurement.
In addition you will provide support and develop the Estimating Assistants and Administrators ensuring that they are effectively performing their key accountabilities for the company on each project.
What we offer;
At Ground Control we believe in rewarding our employees for their hard work. We offer a wide-ranging benefits programme inspiring you to realise your full potential;
- We have recently been rated 62nd in the Britain’s Best Company List for 2021
- We inclusively support ‘The Race at Work Charter’, ‘Ban the Box’, ‘The Armed Forces Covenant’ and are ‘Disability Confident’
- A supportive, entrepreneurial working environment that fosters collaboration
- We believe that ‘no job is too urgent or important not to be done safely’ and embed this Safety culture throughout the business
- Training, development, coaching and mentoring opportunities, with clear career path progression
- Match funding for employee fundraising and 2 personal choice volunteering days
- We invest 5% of our profits into the Evergreen Fund, an investment fund dedicated to sustainability and environmental initiatives.
- By 2025 we have committed to planting 1,000,000 trees and having a fully electric fleet. We are already carbon neutral 4 years ahead of schedule!
- Free gym access
- Cycle to work, Travel loans
- Bupa employee support & Free Flu Jab & subscriptions to an online GP service and Calm, the wellbeing app
How we work;
We put people at the centre of everything we do.
Everyone is welcome. We’re embracing a culture where difference is valued. Your uniqueness will be celebrated. We believe diversity grows innovation, and innovation creates initiative. Together we’ll succeed in caring for each other, caring for our communities and caring for our Environment. Together, we’re stronger.
Who are we looking for;
We’d love to hear from existing experienced Estimators within the Landscape Construction industry You’ll have a solid commercial background in bid and tender management across hard and soft landscaping as well as;
•Excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills with the ability to shape written solutions independently
•Excellent commercial skills, with a good working understanding of frameworks /contract and risk management.
•Demonstrable experience of understanding and developing service solutions in an efficient manner.
•A track record of success in winning and retaining service industry based accounts
•Strong stakeholder management skills
•A hands on approach to your work – you will rarely have the opportunity to delegate!